Sunday, December 13, 2009

Easy Potato Soup Recipe:

1 bag frozen diced potatoes (I believe it is a 32 oz bag)...if you want to use fresh potatoes, peel and dice until you have 2 lb.

32 oz broth (I use vegetable, but used to use chicken, only difference seems to be the color the soup is when you are done, it is darker with vegetable broth)

medium onion--chopped (or cheat like I do and use between 1/3 and 1/2 of a bag of the frozen diced onions from Kroger)...I have made this with no onions and it turns out fine

pepper to taste (I like to use white pepper)

1/2 of an 8oz bag of cheese for soup, use the remainder of bag to top soup when it is done

bacon for topping soup if you desire (I buy the precooked crumbled bacon at Sams, makes it easier because I don't have to fry it up)

Place potatoes, broth, onion and pepper in large pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, stir frequently...after about 30 or 40 minutes you will notice that it no longer looks like broth and potatoes, but that the potatoes are starting to break down, decide if you want slighlty chunky soup or smooth soup (we like our slightly chunky), if you want smooth, cook it longer, if not, then add the cheese now (if you want it smooth, add the cheese after you have cooked it about 10 more minutes). Stir until cheese melts, you will see the consistency of the soup change when you add the cheese. Serve topped with cheese and bacon (if you desire). Everyone in my family except Will loves this soup, his comment...it has too much potato!

No comments: