Tuesday, January 04, 2011

What's Cooking? Chicken and Tortilla Dumplings

My friend Martha made this soup and brought it to me one day when Tori was in the hospital and I was having a rather rough day.....it is the perfect comfort food and I would have NEVER known without seeing this recipe that the "dumplings" where made from tortillas. My kids LOVED this and I made it tonight dinner...which is why you are getting the recipe because I had to pull it up on the computer!

Chicken and Tortilla Dumplings

6 chicken leg quarters (5 pounds)

8 cups of water

2 celery ribs, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

2 chicken bouillon cubes

1 ½ teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 (15 ounce) package of 8 inch flour tortillas

Bring first 7 ingredients to a boil in a large Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Let chicken and broth cool. Skin, bone, and cut chicken into bite size pieces; set aside. Skim fat from broth. Add soup to broth; bring to a boil.

Cut tortillas into 2 x 1 inch strips. Add strips one at a time to briskly boiling broth mixture. Add chicken, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent dumplings from sticking together.

Yield: 6 servings. Prep: 15 min. Cook 1hr 10min.

Quick tip: Substitute 8 cups chicken broth for water. Omit bouillon cubes. Reduce salt to ½ teaspoon. Proceed with recipe using 3 to 4 cups chopped cooked chicken.

Note from Martha: I usually use skinless boneless chicken breasts, but I think the dark meat tastes better. My kids always like more noodles and less chicken, so if I ever use chopped, cooked chicken, it is closer to 3 cups rather than 4. I use Kroger brand tortillas and they are 17.5 ounces. I also throw in a couple more tortillas sometimes. The only bad part about this recipe is dropping the tortillas into the broth one at a time. They really do stick together if you throw them in too quickly. It would be great to have one person stirring and the other person throwing in tortillas!

No comments: