Thursday, October 15, 2009

October 15th: Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day

For those of you that aren't aware, Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day is a day of remembrance for all pregnancies and infant death which includes but not limited to miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS, or death of a newborn. It is recognized in the United States and throughout Canada on October 15th of each year. Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day is observed with remembrance ceremonies and candle lighting vigils which coincides with an International Wave of Light with participants lighting candles on October 15 at 7:00 p.m. around the world to honor and remember our children. (source Wikipedia). I can't believe that this is the first year I have thought to mention this here.

So to all my dear friends and blog visitors who have suffered the loss of a child, grandchild, brother, sister, niece or nephew to pregnancy or infant loss, you are in my thoughts and prayers today as is the beautiful child that you never got to watch take his first steps, say her first words, or rock to sleep. Today I grieve my angels that have gone before me. I grieve for my brother Phillip and my nephew Jack. I grieve for Gretchen and her family who lost Vivian just a few weeks ago. Tracy, Kas and Valerie, you are all in my prayers. For online friends, too many to name, who have suffered a loss, you fill my thougths today. I grieve the loss of those children of family and friends whose existence I might not have even known about because a pregnancy was so new or those who chose to keep their loss to themselves because the pain was to great to share. There are no words I can say to comfort you, just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Thanks Laura, I did not know this even exsisted. Makes it maybe a bit easier. I can't beleive that my angel would be born very soon...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Laura...it means a lot.