Friday, February 24, 2006

2022 Olympian???

Today I took the kids (minus Hannah who was babysitting) ice skating with our homeschooling friends over at the Northern Kentucky Ice Center. When we got to the rink the kids were busy putting on their skates and Will (almost 20 months) sat on the ground, pulled his gym shoes off and went over and stood at the window to try to get the desk attendant to give him skates. I guess he figured that was were everyone else was getting their "skoos" and he wanted to get some too! I picked him up and told him "no, babies can't skate" and he started to cry (OK it was more an ear piercing scream). The guy at the desk was so sweet, he smiles and says "I have a pair of little skates if he wants to play with them" and he hands them to me, they had to be the tiniest skates I have ever seen....well Will INSISTS I put them on his feet. He patiently sat there and let me get them on him. Then he STANDS up and WALKS (without falling) over to the ice.....he made it around the rink 3 times (with Emily holding his hand) without falling and then he continued to walk in the skates without a mishap for another hour (Grant on the other hand damn near broke his jaw in a collision with a couple of teens, the medic for the hockey team that practices there even came out and looked at his jaw, cheek and teeth to make sure we didn't need to go to the ER).

So you can all say you knew him way back when he was a baby when he makes the 2022 US Olympic Speed Skating team!

Oh, and I FORGOT my camera and none of my friends had cameras with them, so I had to run down to Walgreens and get a cheapy disposable, but at least I should have some pictures to share eventually!

Sophie also really took to the ice, she pushed this bucket around in front of her to keep herself from falling, but she really had a blast (except her hands and feet were COLD!). It is unbelievable how comfortable all the kids are on the ice, and the only other time most of them skated was back in December at Holiday Fest at the Beach!

No comments: