Thursday, March 09, 2006

As typically happens anytime I get down on my life, something comes about that makes me realize that things aren't as bad as they could be.

Late Tuesday night, I received an email from a friend of mine telling me that another homeschooling mom that I know died suddenly Sunday of what they think was an abcess on her ovary that got into her bloodsteam. Michelle attended numerous park programs with her beautiful son Nathan. I can't even imagine the pain that poor boy is dealing with right now. The news makes me reflect, wonder, ponder what would happen if my children lost me. It makes me cry!

There is going to be a memorial service and funeral on Saturday. Some of the moms are working on a scrapbook for Nathan. I plan to have the kids make some cards so that Nathan knows we are covering him in prayer and that if there is any other way we can help him that we are here for him.

It has been one of those "school years" that have really made me reflect on my own mortality and the mortality of those around me....a friend's diagnosis of cancer/subsequent hysterectomy in December, a former homeschooling mom dying of cancer back in January, one of the moms on an unschooling list I am on losing her daughter, Hannah, to luekemia in February and now Michelle dying in March.

So today I will be positive and grateful not only for my own life, but that of my husband, children, family and friends. I will not complain about getting my dad from dialysis. I will not complain about all the running that needs to be done (dance, uniform fittings, baseball practice, vet). I will remember what Hannah's mom would give to have a "bad" and busy day with her daughter or what Nathan would give to have another "park program" with his mother. Today I will dream like I will live forever, but live as though I may die tomorrow.

1 comment:

hestiahomeschool said...

I guess I have been thinking of this a lot, especially since the cancer diagnosis. I am not afriad of dying, but I am terrified of leaving the girls. Even though Mandy is eighteen now, she still needs me so much...Tabby and Shelby are still so little...It really does make you stop and think.

I try to be positive, but I think I have a lot of negative emotions roiling around inside of me lately. Normally I am pretty self sufficent, but I feel a lot more vulnerable right now. I guess the longer away from the surgery I get the stronger I will feel.

I am so lucky that they found it and fixed it. That poor woman. She probably had no warning whatsoever...her poor family must be reeling...