Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Mercury and Jupiter in retrograde.....

I knew something must be up when the usually laid back homeschool group I am part of seemed to be in turmoil over what I thought was absolutely nothing, well at least in the beginning it was nothing, but then the founder of the group reworded the vision statement and I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up.....

She was upset that a new mom "complained" because some of the parents at an event used "adult" language....so she amended the vision statement to say "does not tolerate negativity, cursing in front of children, backstabbing or complaining"....of course when I posted the following in response to the changes, she felt I was attacking her, honestly I was just offering some food for thought....after all where does one's right to not be offended end???

My response:

I think that changing the vision statement is a bit of an over reaction here and honestly see it as being a slippery slope that I personally don't want to start down. Like I mentioned to J, M and D what happens next???....what if say someone came to the gym or another activity who is"offended" by lesbians and a lesbian was there ( not sure if there are any in ***, nor do I care)...would a "only hetrosexual policy" be put in place? What about someone who thinks having a child out of wedlock or being a single parent or being divorced is a sin...would we need to adopt a "only two- parent family"(of course meaning a MAN and a WOMAN) policy? What if someone starts coming to events that is "offended" by breastfeeding or the sight of a bear breast? Should we all have to retreat to the bathroom to nurse and cover up so that they aren't uncomfortable...would a "no public nursing" policy be put into place? What if someone came who was "offended" by the way some of us discipline or don't discipline....would a"discipline policy" be put in place? What about those who are "appauled"that unschoolers don't use a curriculum...would *** adopt a mandatory curriculum for all members? What about those that think having large families is "irresponsible" or those that think having an only child is"wrong"? You can't please everyone.... This really is a slippery slope......where would the right to not be offended end?

Honestly, as the new vision statement is worded, I doubt that I can upholdsuch a high ideal. It is hard to not be negative or complain when dealingwith a sick and dying parent. It is hard to not complain when there isn't enough money to put food on the table or pay the electric bill. It is hard to not be negative when you feel your world is falling apart around you. I have always felt, like J said, that *** is a place of relaxed friendship and I hate to lose that because the vision changes. I am feeling a bit sad, and I am sure that the wording of this email probably isn't as gentle as it could be. It is hard to watch something I care about seem to be in such turmoil over what seems to be something so minor.

OK, so I really don't see the above as an attack, like I said, food for thought. If you are going to "react" and change the entire vision statement becuase someone is upset, then how do you decide what merits changes and what doesn't? And to follow "will not tolerate" with negative and complaining, is very ambiguous...there must be a clearer way to articulate what is meant by such words.

My friend pointed out that Mercury and Venus are both in retrograde, which apparently has a lot to do with miscommunication! So maybe I would be best served by keeping my mouth shut and dusting off some astrology books (OK I would have to go out and buy them to dust them off!).

2 comments:

hestiahomeschool said...

Oh, I am glad I read this...I was all worried over the possibility that my email to you about the lice/street kids situation we are dealing with here would be misinterpreted. I tried to call but I bet you are with your dad.

I really, really do not want the two other moms involved worried that lice are going to catapult from Tabby's head onto theirs, so it is easier to just stay away.

Then I worried that you would think I did not want to participate (even though we were skipping the St Patrick's Day parade to come)...I cried when I got home....I felt so bad for everyone, but especially for poor little lice ridden Samantha, whose father was arrested and put in jail and then rehab this week, and whose mother we saw stumbling around drunk yesterday after Girl Scouts.It is true that she is not my resposibility, but if I don't love her and help her out, who is going to? The whole world ignores this kid. She is bright and sensitive and pitifully needy. I got my pediatrician to call in the ultra expensive (hundred dollar ) a bottle stuff for all three of my girls...since Shelby does not need it, I am going to use her bottle on Samantha.

I am so emotionally volatile right now--between having hot flashes and then sweats...please remember that I love and treasure your relationship a very great deal. We are usually on the same page about censorship, lesbian rights, etc...


If we can't say Fuck or Shit with our friends, where can we say It? (hehehe) And can you make everyone happy? I know you can't, but sometimes I try way way too hard...

Anyway, I guess I should put a huge warning on the Writer's Group, since the written language of some of the teen writers uses (gasp) profanity. I would not censor their words for all the money in the world.

Balme on Mercury in retrograde or whatever....just take a deep breath.

Was I the one with bad language?

Laura Riesenberg said...

We have no idea who used the offensive language, where it happened or who complained. You should have heard all us regulars saying things like "it was probably me when...." it was actually quite hilarious! But it has become the running joke now that me HAVE to curse when we see each other!

I was probably with dad or at dance with Sophie or getting Jacob fitted for his baseball uniform, I had a lot of running to do yesterday!

Would it do any good to notify children's services or the school so that Samantha could get some help? Maybe you treating her hair will help clear up what sounds like a chronic infestation, the poor little thing!

We will miss you at the geography fair....remember I even switched the date so your girls could come because the original one conflicted with vaulting? I guess it just wasn't meant to be!

Take care of yourself!

Laura