Friday, July 28, 2006

Muskrats!



At the Winner's Circle for 4-H my friend Deanne and I noticed that there is a 4-H project called "Trapping Muskrats"....we both laughed and then admitted we had no idea what a muskrat looked like. We came to the conclusion that if you were the only one to enter the project it probably wouldn't matter if you captured a muskrat or a squirrel and wondered if the judge even knew what one looked like. So in the interest of self education, I thought I would find out.

I found a great page about them: http://www.fcps.edu/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/muskrat.htm

So now I have to figure out if I have ever seen one.....being a "city gal" I am starting to suspect that these may be what I thought were "beavers". I think maybe I should carry a field guide with me at all times.

No comments: