Friday, September 17, 2004

Fiddler ...I mean, children, on the roof

Friday the remanents of Ivan blew into Ohio. Early morning we had hard pouring rain that turned into a constant soft rain by mid morning. As I lay in bed, I could hear the rain rolling out of the gutters, and knew they were clogged with leaves for our early shedding tulip tree.

The morning progressed as normal, children milling about, breakfast being made, laundry being started. After tossing a load of laundry in the dryer, I went upstairs to shower and was surprised to find my bedroom door locked. The quickly unlocked it (cheap old doornob) and was surprised to see my bedroom window hanging open with no screen in it. I walked over to the window, assuming one of the cats had knocked the screen loose, to be greeted by the sight of Emily and Grant playing on the roof, pulling leaves from the gutter and tossing them to the ground. I asked who told them to go on the roof and they said "Dad said the gutters were clogged, so we decided to clean them". I couldn't decide if I should applaud their eagerness to help or yell at them for being on the roof. I opted to tell them to "be careful" and to finish up and climb back in the house. Wonder what children's services would think of a 10 year old and 8 year old "playing" on the roof?

No comments: