Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Three months old.....

Where has the time gone? It is hard to believe that 3 months ago today, at this very moment you entered our lives and what a scare you gave us all! Limp and lifeless, your first seconds in this world, I was so afraid we would loss you before we got to know you. Your daddy told me you looked like your big brother Brett and I knew that meant you would be a fighter, but I never realized what a fighter you would have to be to make it through the next week. The first time I saw you, you were hooked up to a machine to help you breath and an IV to feed you, you reacted so horribly to my touch it made me cry. My baby boy, laying there, so fragile and I couldn't even touch you. I longed for the day that I could just hold you, nurse you, cuddle you! What a fighter you were, getting off of CPAP and starting to breath room air, learning to nurse and overcoming jaundice, such hard work for such a little baby.

It seems like an enternity ago, yet it was just 3 short months, a mere 92 days, since you entered this world. So much has changed in such a short time. You have turned into a nursing champ, far from that baby who could only manage to take in 6cc in 20 minutes. You smile this bright wide smile that is infectious. You have started rolling, although you seem to have no idea "how" it happens and get really mad because you end up stuck on your back! You love hanging out in your baby bjorn, probably because you know it means you can hear my heartbeat.

I love watching your brothers and sisters with you, watching them welcome you into the family. As you grow, it is funny to see them try to include you. How many babies have played ping-pong, basketball, football or baseball in the backyard before they were 3 months old? How many babies have slid down the slide or rocked in the pirate ship? How many babies have been "center stage" in their sisters "dances"? How many babies have books read to them every day? Their love for you is incredible and uncessing.

Occasionally I wonder if it is possible for us to give you all you need, after all 8 children is a handful for anyone. But I focus on the things that I have given you, a family full of love and seven wonderful siblings, and know in my heart that they far outweigh the things I can't give you. They will always be there for you, they will be your anchor when you need steadying or the wind in your sails.

I love you little man! Happy 3 month birthday!

No comments: