Friday, December 29, 2006

A final farewell

Dad's visitation, mass and burial took place today. I am exhausted, but it was a good day. Things started out on a frenzied note, as we had to be at my mom's at 8:45 AM to help set up for the gathering after the funeral, but calmed down once we got to her church. Poor Cade wasn't feeling good and fell asleep during the visitation. Will was fascinated with looking at the body in the coffin, poor little guy, it is a lot for a 2 year old to comprehend. The mass was nice, although I would have prefered to have someone speak who actual knew my father, rather than a priest who just reiterated what my mother had said the day before. At the cemetery a military honor guard presented a flag to my mother (following a flag ceremony) and a bugler played TAPS....it was moving and beautiful.

Once the services were over, we all gathered back at my mom's for lunch. My brother and his wife, my uncle, aunt and cousins and my family all spent a few hours together. Most of the chatter was mindless and focused on things outside of the events of earlier that day, very different from the gathering after my mother in laws funeral. At her gathering we all laughed and cried as we shared stories about her. No one mentioned Dad.

I cleaned up the kitchen and then we headed home. I received many compliments throughout the day on how well behaved the kids were and how well they interact with each other. I listened to my cousins talk about their own children and how they are never home, preferring to stay with friends rather than be at home and how that is fine with them. It made me sad. I am so blessed each day to be with my children, even more blessed that even those that are teens like being at home and being with their father, siblings and me.

Definitely a day for reflection...not just on Dad and his life, but on life in general!

Here is a copy of Dad's obit....I removed the last name, as my mother is ultra paranoid about her identidy being "stolen"....

David. Beloved husband of Wanda . Loving father of Laura (Jay) Riesenberg and Steven (Carolyn) . Dear grandfather of 8. Born on Sept. 15, 1944, he lived in Cincinnati. He was an electrical design engineer who worked in robotics and mill machinery. December 25, 2006 Age 62. Friends may call Friday from 10 AM until time of the Mass of Christian Burial at 11 AM at St. John Fisher Church 3227 Church St. Newtown. Internment will be at Gate of Heaven Cemetery. If so desired, memorials may be directed to the American Cancer Society or charity of one's choice. Witt, Good & Kelsch Funeral Home (Anderson Twp.) serving the family.
Here is a picture of the kids. They clean up pretty well! Too bad that the only thing they have had to clean up for lately is funeral! Looking forward to 2007, which I am sure will include at least a couple of joyous occasions! Or at least it better, I can't take a repeat of 2006!

No comments: